It’s no secret that we love cheese at Schreiber. We think cheese can make just about anything taste better and even have plant-based options available. There are so many things to enjoy about cheese – the taste, the nutrition, the variety – but the thing we enjoy the most is being able to share it with so many people around the world.
Natural cheese dates back 5,000 years. Today, there are more than 1,500 types of natural cheeses, ranging in flavors from mild and buttery to sharp, full-bodied and nutty.
What makes each cheese different? There are a lot of factors – the source of the milk, temperature, cooking, aging and more.
Varieties of natural cheese include:
- Hard, such as Parmesan and Asiago
- Semi-hard, such as cheddar, colby, Edam, Gouda and Swiss
- Semi-soft, such as Monterey Jack, brick, muenster, fontina, mozzarella and provolone, which all melt well when cooked
- Soft, such as cream cheese, brie and ricotta
- Fresh, such as Burgos (a firm-textured fresh white cheese) and fromage frais (a soft, un-aged, creamy fresh cheese made with milk and cream), which are provided by our plants in Spain
Process cheese is made from natural cheeses that are blended with other ingredients and pasteurized. This creates a smooth, consistent, flavorful cheese that’s ideal for sauces and cooking.
American cheese is the most popular and is known for its perfect melt on cheeseburgers and in grilled-cheese sandwiches.
We also have plant-based options available in slices and shreds.
Cream cheese is a fresh, natural cheese that can be used as a spread or dip, as well as in sweet or savory dishes. Smooth and creamy, its primary ingredient is cream rather than milk. A starter culture is added to the milk and cream. This causes it to ferment and creates cream cheese’s unique texture and flavor.
Neufchatel (pronounced NOOF-sha-tell), with 33 percent less fat, is similar to cream cheese but lower in fat, higher in moisture and softer in texture.
Cream cheese and Neufchatel are available in a variety of sizes and more than 30 flavors, including strawberry, blueberry, onion and chive, and pumpkin. We also offer plant-based varieties.